Monday, August 30, 2010

A Summing Up!

Though I am clearly not a very prolific blogger (I love the idea but am usually too lazy to actually do it.) I feel that a summing up post is necessary/worth the time. I found myself on the T at 6am last week and for a split second I expected the voice on the intercom to announce that we were entering Charing Cross station. I hoped it would yell at me to "mind the gap." When it was just the normal monotone voice announcing that we were entering Kenmore ("doors will open on the left") I felt a bit sad but also happy. It feels good to be back in Boston. I love this city completely (OK, except when there are Soxs fans on the T when I am just trying to get somewhere).

Anyway, I think I might love London as much as I love Boston. They have a similar feel. London is a behemoth while Boston is quite condensed but the energy is the same. New York City makes me feel terribly small and overwhelms me. Boston and London both have a lot of things going on all the time but it feels easier to be in. I rarely felt like an outsider in London because nearly everyone was. Something is very welcoming about that city and I can't really put my finger on it.

Visiting so many wonderful libraries, museums, and archives made the whole experience not the burden of a class but like I was doing something and seeing something new everyday. Boston has a lot of history but it pales in comparison to what London holds. I still cannot believe I got to touch a First Folio. Inner English major wept that day.

I am already trying to figure out how soon I can make it back to London. I knew I would love it there but I didn't realize it would feel so much like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment